The 2016 Grand National meeting at Aintree gets underway on Thursday as a number of Cheltenham Festival winners bid to secure further success on the biggest stage.
Headlining the card is the Grade 1 Doom Bar Aintree Hurdle over 2m4f where reigning Champion Hurdler Annie Power seeks to make it back-to-back high-profile wins.
Willie Mullins’ great mare produced a career defining win at Cheltenham last month when breaking the track record to win another Champion Hurdle for jockey Ruby Walsh and owner Rich Ricci.
She is now set to face just five rivals in Thursday’s highlight and is priced accordingly as the 8/15 favourite.
It looks set to be a superb day’s racing where the Grade 1 Aintree Bowl will also contested. The field includes both the second and third from last month’s Gold Cup in Djakadam and Don Poli, as well as King George winner Cue Card.
Here we take a look some of the best bets on the card.
- 13:40 – Merseyrail Manifesto Novices’ Chase (Grade 1)
- 14:15 – Betfred Anniversary 4-Y-O Juvenile Hurdle (Grade 1)
- 14:50 – Betfred Bowl Chase (Grade 1)
- 15:25 – Doom Bar Aintree Hurdle (Grade 1)
- 16:05 – Crabbie’s Fox Hunters’ Chase (National Course)
- 16:40 – Betfred Red Rum Handicap Chase (Grade 3)
- 17:15 – Goffs Nickel Coin Mares’ Standard Open NH Flat Race (Grade 2)